This is a chronicle our everyday life as we live, laugh and love raising our teenager, our toddler and our special needs baby. Normal isn't always what it seems...

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Food for thought

Surprise, Surprise! This is a post that isnt about sweet Lydon.  He has been holding his own for the moment. Thank goodness because we've had plenty of other "stressors" to tend to over the last week or so.  We are STILL working with doctors and insurance to get the new meds and treatments started. I will update when I have any new information but for now, here's whats been on my mind. 

I’ve been thinking the last several days about diet, wt. loss, etc.    I’m an average All American female with three kiddos.  I’ve never been “obese” but I’ve always struggled with my weight and been “thicker” than I should’ve been.  It wasn’t until I was in my 30s and had my middle child that I had more control of my weight and even still it’s been a struggle.  I, as many of you, have often wondered why does it seem so difficult to eat right and exercise.  This past week, my Dad who has for most of his life been pretty fit and healthy was diagnosed with near complete heart failure and ended up needing an emergency quadruple bypass surgery.  So, this is the realization that I’ve come to.  For most of us, including myself,  I think that  our wt loss goals tend to stem from a pretty simple and somewhat superficial viewpoint.  Most of us want to look good and feel good about ourselves, right? But what if our goals grew from something deeper and more meaningful than that?  What if it was a life or death matter?  What if you were told that if you didn’t lose 25, 50, or even 100 lbs. that your heart would fail and you would imminently die? What if your ability to continue working and caring for yourself or your young children depended upon that 25 lb weight loss? If that was your reality don’t you think it would be easier for you to choose apples with peanut butter and a glass of water for your afternoon snack over the large fry and Dr. Pepper?  The truth is that IS reality for all of us.  I’m nobody special but I have been a nurse for over 15 years.  I have a full understanding of the anatomy of the heart and heart disease in general.   This past week, all of that knowledge and experience became something very real and very personal.  My perspective has changed…. I’m not gonna lie, I still want to look good in my clothes and feel good about myself  but my goal is more about being “heart healthy” and less about “losing weight”.  It may not literally be a life or death issue at this moment but for me, my long term health and quality of life has become the real “heart of the matter" in my lifes journey of being the best happy and healthy Mom I can possibly be for my three beautiful babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment