Friday, January 14, 2011
Out of the Blue
Well, I knew a temp over 103 couldn't be nothing and sure enough it was something. Lydon spiked the fever on Monday afternoon seemingly out of nowhere but I thought (hoped) that maybe the weather change and audiology testing coupled with our lunch date that day had just been too much for him. Not so lucky. He continued with fever up to 101 and no symptoms until yesterday when I noticed that he was developing a rash. Well, it started to spread like wildfire and looked terrible. After looking up a few things and talking to my wonderful nurse mommy friend I became really concerned about possible measles. So, I called the ped who checked with the mito specialist and they decided I should take him to make sure he was ok metabolically. So.... back we went. He was beyond miserable by the time we got there. He was drooling terribly because he didn't want to swallow. They pulled usback into a room very quickly and got an IV started and labs drawn. After the doctors examined him, they agreed that he has a very terrible case of hand, foot, and mouth disease. They started him on some fluids and gave him some Codeine. Most of his labs came back looking fine. A couple of them will not be ready until later this morning. So, they gave him a little more fluid and pain meds and let us come home. We will follow up to make sure those things are ok too. So, for now he is resting comfortably with the pain meds and some benadryl. Hopefully this will heal up sooner than later and not produce any secondary infections. That is our prayer. Ill keep you updated with any changes.